Dreena’s No-fu Love Loaf by Susan Voisin on April 26, 2012
No-fu Love Loaf from Let Them Eat Vegan
Many vegan versions of meatloaf are made with tofu, veggie ground round, tvp, or even seitan. Those tofu-averse will be happy to know there is no tofu or veggie meats in this loaf. This savory version uses only lentils, cracked wheat, oats, and chia seed, along with a mix of seasonings to make it all magically come together!
- 1/2 cup brown (green) lentils
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 3/4 cup bulgur (toasted cracked wheat) (for gluten-free version, use certified gf steel cut oats)
- 1 cup water, boiled
- 1/4 cup natural ketchup
- 1 cup rolled or quick oats (ensure gf certified for gluten-free)
- 3 tablespoons tamari (use wheat-free for wheat/gluten-free version)
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 2 tablespoons ground white chia (or can use flax meal)
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce (see note for gf version)
- 2 tablespoons tahini or sunflower seed butter
- 2 teaspoons blackstrap molasses
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 – 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/8 teaspoon ground fennel (optional)
- Freshly ground black pepper to taste
(Visit Susan Voisin for the instructions).
From the book Let Them Eat Vegan! by Dreena Burton.